Fall Farro Salad with Butternut Squash
Every year for Thanksgiving my family and I have started to bring in new vegetable dishes to change things up a bit and earn their place at next year's fest. This year we split up the sides and desserts between my mom, myself, and sisters. This year I was in charge of making two different dishes so I chose to make something with green beans and a salad.
When I started searching for recipes I wanted to stick to holiday/seasonal ingredients that are special for Thanksgiving or family dinner occasions, so I immediately knew that butternut squash needed to be included in the salad somehow. I eventually found one on Cook Noursh Bliss Blog and decided it would be a good starting point to add or swap out ingredients I had on hand.
I first tesed out the recipe at a cooking class for work and my patients all liked it! I knew right away that my family would probably like it as well. On Thanksgiving Day, it ended up being a hit with my sisters and parents, so hopefully it will be requested for next year's feast.
This recipe is full of antioxidant-rich kale, hearty farro, and bursts of color with the butternut squash. What I also like about this recipe is the homemade dressing. I honestly don't make enough homemade dressings. They are much healthier and cheaper than ones in supermarkets. Plus, they are very easy to make!
I suggest making this for a quick take-to-work lunch or dinner that will leave you feeling super satisfied and good about what you just ate.
Fall Farro with Butternut Squash Salad:
Adapted fromCook Nourish Bliss Blog
Ingredients for Salad :
1.1 cup farro
2.1 medium red onion, sliced
3. 4 cups butternut squash, cubed
4. 2 tablespoons olive oil
5. 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
6. 1/4 teaspoon pepper
7. 2 cups chopped kale (stems removed)
8. 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
9. 3 cups low sodium broth
10. Handful of dried cranberries or 1 cup sliced red grapes
Ingredients for the Dressing::
1. 1/4 cup olive oil
2. 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
3. 1 table spoon balsamic vinegar
3.1/4 teaspoon sea salt
4.Pinch of pepper
1. Add the farro to a medium saucepan, then pour in the broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until tender but still a touch chewy (see notes for approximate cook time*). Drain off any excess liquid and add to a large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, add the red onion and butternut squash to a hot skillet with olive oil. After 10 minutes sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread in an even layer. Cook mixture until tender and starting to brown. Add the veggies to the large bowl, along with the kale and walnuts. Toss to combine.
3. For the Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Pour into the bowl with the farro and veggies and toss to combine. Taste and season with additional salt / pepper as needed (Serve warm!
Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving weekend! After all the indulgences I had the past few days I definitely need to make this salad or get plenty of greens in this week to help me re-balance my body.