Ways to Add Nut-thin but Nutrition to Your Smoothie (plus a recipe!)
Ever go out to run or workout, get back, make a smoothie with all the veggies in your fridge and you're still extra hungry an hour later?? Yep, that's happened to me too!
Even though this can happen fairly often I still make smoothies for several reasons:
- super fast to make ( just dump everything in a blender and BAM! it's ready)
- easiest way to get veggies in the morning
- they save me from eating super sugar and sweet pastries ( like doughnuts) in morning cause they're already naturally sweet from fruit
- some days I can't really eat in the morning, but still drink a smoothie so that I can have enough energy to run or workout later
- easy way for me to get enough calories in one cup, especially after long runs or harder workouts
I LOVE my smoothies, but don't enjoy feeling like my stomach is empty or hear it growling so I started adding extra healthy fats or protein to help keep me satisfied and full. Healthy fats and protein help replenish our bodies and fuel us into our next workout day. Protein also helps our muscles recover and reduces next day soreness.
Here are a few ideas of proteins and healthy that you can add to your smoothies to keep you full for longer periods of time:
- try a plant based or whey based protein powder
- add a nut butter to your smoothie
- toss in 1 tbsp of chia seeds or hemp seeds
- use 1/2 cup of frozen peas in your blend
- blend in 1/2 an avocado
- use 1 tbsp of coconut oil or coconut butter or ghee
NOW--who's ready for the recipe!
This recipe is simple, pretty freakin tasty. I normally make this a couple of times during the week when I go for a run in the morning and am scrambling to get out the door to work.
Nut-thin by Greens Smoothie
- 1-2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 2 handful of spinach
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- 1 ripe banana
- 4 ice cubs ( or more if you like)
- Add almond milk, banana, peanut butter, spinach, and protein powder to blende.r Blend first, then add ice cubes.
- Serve chilled. Enjoy, friend!
I'll let you make it and enjoy the extra nutty flavor. YUM! So good, right??