Penne Pasta with Mushroom 'Meat'balls
Hey Fitness Friends! I have been really diving back into my creative food space again after Hurricane Harvey and am excited to share a mushroom meatball recipe!! When I first transitioned into a vegetarian and plant based diet I would often use veggie burgers, soy meat balls or chicken type of frozen food items to help me get used to not having animal proteins. If you still buy these it's okay! You're still moving in a great direction!
I created this recipe to really add more variety to my protein foods, and help my boyfriend have foods that still kind of remind him of meat foods. I like this recipe and really like that it was simple, little ingredients, and cooks really well in the oven. It also stayed nice and moist, kept its flavors, and was super filling!! Sounds like an all around win right?!
Try this recipe and I promise you may never go back and buy frozen store bought veggie meat balls!Plus it is another good reason to enjoy penne for a couple meals!
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 cup broccoli roughly chopped
- 1/2-2 cups of penne
- favorite pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp red pepper
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp olive or canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Bring penne to a boil in pot and drain liquid once finished cooking.
- Meanwhile, with olive oil sautee mushrooms and garlic together until softened. allow to cool down
- Process almonds, flour, red pepper, pepper, nutritional yeast, together, and empty into a large bowl. (Note: if you don't have food processor you can also blend on LOW speed and PULSE)
- Next, process beans and mushrooms. Add mushroom mixture to rest of blend on in mix. Stir all ingredients together until it all congeals.
- Form small spheres or balls of mixture and add to a greased baking sheet, Mixture yields about 12-14 small spheres. Lightly brush tops of spheres with olive oil prior to baking. Bake for 30 mins. (Note: use an ice cream scoop or large Tbsp to scoop out mixture).
- On a cooking pan sautee zucchini, red onion, and broccoli, season with salt and pepper.
- To serve: plate pasta, add pasta sauce and veggies on top, place 3-4 mushroom meatballs on top. Looks yum, huh? Now Enjoy!
How both mixtures look all together before rolling into spheres!